Thank you for stopping by my blog.

I write day after day because I discover extraordinary lessons from ordinary life experiences. I record my visual portraits of everyday life filled with something sacred in hopes that my reflections might bring an insight that blesses my readers.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Gingerbread Men Pressure

Each of us must face a New Year every year. I just can’t escape it; January 1st arrives, and I feel the pressure. I must make resolutions about eating right, exercising often, flossing better, and being faithful in my breast exams. I must resolve to read more, longer, better. I must engage in more painting, training, and lessons. Closets cry out, “It is the New Year; clean me now.” I must practice my craft of writing with more purpose and focus. Yikes! No wonder everyone on face book is depressed because this is the first week of January. It is not the cold. It is not the snow. It is a new year of pressure. Granted, they may all be good, but they are pressures.

So, today I made chili. I ate two gingerbread men with my tea. Please know I did not eat any Christmas cookies because I am allergic to wheat. Yet, I just ate the two left in the plastic container. Yep, sugar, wheat, and a snack. Those are all my “no, no’s” according to Dr. Oz. I just did it today, January 4, 2010, the first Monday of the year. I haven’t done any exercises, gone to the gym, or walked the dogs. It is just too cold to be walking circles in my neighborhood. What is my problem? It is a new year. I am in total rebellion. I need a self help coach, a diet chef, a professional organizer, a personal trainer, and Susie Orman by my side. How did I ever exist in 1965, 1975, 1982? Back then, I didn’t even realize that I needed all these helpers to make me whole. Now, the news, magazines, advertisements, and friends are hyped that these things bring balance, beauty, and new beginnings.

So, I am taking control. Listen to this all you health gurus, physical trainers, and economist. I am going to bask in my pleasures. I will read….sure I will because I enjoy it. I will sing even though I am off key. I will dance to fun music and wiggle and giggle with my two wooly, four legged friends. I will make chili with hamburger because that is my husband’s favorite meal. I will approach this year gently and make strides of improvement one step at a time. If today I miss one of my needed rituals, I will just enjoy my prayer time more, my journal writing, and my paper arts. I can make 2010 work. I don’t need to jump into with such gusto that I am gasping from exercise and gulping down sea weed. I am woman. I am invincible. Yea, right, but I can get into this New Year without having a nervous breakdown.

So, Happy New Year to all, and to all a good journey of discovering how many people need hugs, how many children you can affirm, and how being grateful feels so much cozier than criticizing. Yep, I am on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment