Thank you for stopping by my blog.

I write day after day because I discover extraordinary lessons from ordinary life experiences. I record my visual portraits of everyday life filled with something sacred in hopes that my reflections might bring an insight that blesses my readers.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Hummingbirds are my coffee.

Hummers, Cardinal, and Finches

Hummers are my coffee


      Outside the large window in my studio, I hang a feeder for hummers. They bring me such delight when I hear the whir of their wings and see their pointed beaks dip into the sweet water I have provided. I also hang a special safflower feeder to attract the cardinals, as well as a finch feeder filled with thistle, and another long tubular feeder filled with wild bird seed that the house wrens gobble up in a half day. When I awaken at five or five thirty, I know I am retired and should know better, but my body says “time to get up.”  So, I do.
      I anticipate seeing my bright red cardinal, Arnold, and his fluffy wife Anita. They never disappoint me.  Also, my little hummer family arrives and gives me morning blessings.  Edgar is downright muscular looking for a hummingbird. His wife Allena is tall and thin, and their Baby Boo is my kitchen window feeder’s constant visitor. I talk to Boo while doing dishes or cooking.  He is so tiny and listens to me coo his name and say these words.
     “Baby Boo be brave today.  Glad to have you right here in my window. You are beautiful, courageous, and a speedy flying machine.”
      I named him Boo because he was so skittish when he first arrived.  He has grown about an inch during the summer.  I love how he stares at me when I talk to him.  He is braver and more mature now, but still my Baby Boo.
      The finch feeder is covered with bright, yellow finches hovering all up and down the long black cylinder. They are a magnificent sight and evidence of God’s creative power. These visitors begin my day with joy and expectation.
       I think birds teach me so much about my spiritual life. I imagine God in the heavens happy to have me at his window feeder each morning.  I hear in my spirit the Creator say, “You are my joy and the apple of my eye.  Go forth with courage because I am by your side. Spread my word and tell others how much I love them because I created them to soar, to love, and to have an abundant life.” 
        Baby Boo may not understand my exact words, but he trusts me and can sense the essence of my love pouring through the window.  I, like Baby Boo, know I can trust my Savior and feel His love pouring in me each morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment