Thank you for stopping by my blog.

I write day after day because I discover extraordinary lessons from ordinary life experiences. I record my visual portraits of everyday life filled with something sacred in hopes that my reflections might bring an insight that blesses my readers.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

One Manger




My favorite artistic version of that night in Bethlehem.


     I have worked diligently for three years to downsize and rid our home of “extras” or found collections of too many vases, shoes, pens, teapots, dishes, or makeup. Clutter happens slowly but builds into mounds quickly. Paradoxical as that may seem, the heaps of stuff become burdensome.  So, again this year when I pulled out the Christmas décor, I asked myself, which of these decorations are extra or don’t spark my joy? 

     In a short time, I had three boxes ready to deliver to the Salvation Army for someone else to enjoy.  Some were old, some new, but all these items took away from the beauty of the decorations that sparked my joy. I wanted my favorite pieces to shine.  There was no doubt which manger scene I would keep.  A stained glass artist in Muncie, who died shortly after I purchased this from him, made it.  Every figure was made important through color and design. He designed a wrap around mirror as the backdrop, which makes the images three dimensional.  A simple candle or light makes the Christ child become the focus of the scene.  I have sat many mornings learning from that child surrounded by a family who loved him and wise men who sought him.  All of the nativity characters listened to God, believed him, and followed his directions.  They suffered that they might share in the blessings of the King.  

     So, if your night seems dark and cold, follow the Star of Bethlehem.  There you will find light, comfort, and the joy of this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment