Thank you for stopping by my blog.

I write day after day because I discover extraordinary lessons from ordinary life experiences. I record my visual portraits of everyday life filled with something sacred in hopes that my reflections might bring an insight that blesses my readers.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Summer flitting

Today I frolicked in the sunshine and kept focusing on things that flit . For example, a beautiful monarch butterfly fed from my purple flocks. It was a lovely sight indeed, but just then a bright red cardinal landed on my chimes. It was surreal because it appeared that he was a chime ringer early in the day. As I walked out to water my secret garden, a sweet little hummer buzzed by me. He actually lit on a red bud limb and watched the arc from the water hose. I slowly moved the sprinkling water near him , and he would hover over it. We played this game for about five minutes. It was a special nature treat. Hummingbirds are small in size but big in attitude .


Let me share a little story. When Denny and I were in Alaska, we went on a helicopter to see a glacier. When we landed, I marveled at the expanse of blue ice and snow everywhere. The snow covered land was barren, just white land for as far as I could see. I looked down in a ravine , and it was just more ice and more ice. The blue sky contrasted dramatically against the white snow. As I was walking around, I heard a familiar buzz. I thought I must be confused since I am accused of being in that state often. However, there by the helicopter wing were two tiny humming birds. We were miles and miles away from nothing and so were they. I heard a nudging from the Lord that morning. He said,"Never underestimate what I can do." Those little hummers gave me hope and faith that what seemed impossible to me could be so easily accomplished by the Creator. Each time I see a hummingbird, I remember that special miracle moment. Today was no different. My faith is resurrected each time I see one.


I was a bit like the butterflies, bees, and hummer today. I just flitted from one task to the next. I admired the beautiful August lilies, the ever blooming hydrangeas, the purple holly hocks, and smelled the sweet aroma of my lavender. Nothing is more pleasant than a morning garden walk.


I really wish I could fly like my little friends. But, I am content to appreciate the many wonders of nature and reflect on its beauty and meaning in my life. Ahhh, summer days are heart memories to be recalled on a cold, gray winter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment